Impounding Reservoir, 1890s
Lee Kip Lin Collection, National Library Singapore
The Impounding Reservoir was Singapore’s first water supply system built in 1867 to meet the demand for fresh water supply. It started out as a small lake in the heart of the jungle, and was later enlarged and renamed MacRitche Reservoir in 1922, after James MacRitche, the Municipal Engineer of Singapore from 1883 to 1895. The reservoir was regarded as one of the prettiest spots on the island, and a pleasure for the tourists to take a leisure stroll at.